Monday, January 11, 2010

A thoughtful and compassionate designer helped me out.


A talented designer everyone should get to know and I had the pleasure to work with is Amy Antonio of Portland Oregon. She has a great website http://amyantonio.com!
I believe she also did the graphics and is a graphic designer as well.
Our first encounter was a weird one when I pulled up to meet her in my ford van and the alternator decided it was time to go right then and there. I was also leaving for a brief west coast "tour" for two weeks out of town later that day after our meeting. I had alot to do to prepare for that departure. She heard about my work and thought I'd be the missing piece to her puzzle for her clients home. I had van "issues" to deal with first but she met me at the gas station I rolled(coasted) into and offered to help me any way she could. She also was from Michigan. It was a bit embarrassing for me but I had to let go of that and do something quick or I'd be stranded. We decided to leave the van for now, get in her car and go to the clients house to see the job I was about to propose to do.
In no time I immediately assessed the rooms and the colors with furniture pieces chosen by Amy and knew exactly what to do to give it that look she and her client wanted. We checked color chips, fabric, samples, talked for a while and said I'd be ready when I returned from tour with my band. Amy's client wasn't going to ready til then and it worked out beautifully just before thanksgiving!
I couldn't believe Amy was hanging in there to see that the van was going to be fixed and I'd be on my way! She drove me to garages all over the place to find the correct alternator for the van.
We towed the van back to portland and a mechanic put in the correct alternator and finally everything worked! I knew Amy was busy as a buyer, decorator, wife and her time was important but to help me out went above and beyond. Helping each other out...sometimes you forget that sort of mindset still exists. We made it on the road to Cali and the tour went well. When I returned, I got right to work and completed the job. She has more pictures of her work on her website along with really funky cool things since she was a buyer for Powell's Books in Portland and has a knack for alternative art and culture alongside her other passions as a Hawaiian designer.
"This room, as is most of the rooms in the new house, needed warmth. Wailaloha's style is a lot more classical than mine so rich, ornate fabrics and rustic warm wood tones set the stage for the Italian inspired dining room. Grand Rapids, Michigan native Andrew Rossi (whose work can be seen in area restuarants like Maiden in the Mist and Yakuza) painted the golden Tuscan antique faux finish in the room which really set the old-world feel for the rest of my pieces."



Discounted Bedroom Furniture

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Juanna Kapuanani Antonio said...

Thanks Andrew! I hope to think anyone would do the same as me. It's what we in Hawai'i call "living Aloha".

You're a multi-talented artist with superb color and painting skills and I look forward to working with you again!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Amy Juanna Kapuanani Antonio said...

p.s. I was actually Powell's Books graphic designer and branding coordinator, not buyer. No biggie. :)

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home