Friday, February 03, 2012

PAINTINGS for EVE. My CANVAS PAINTINGS.

 











the Artful Dragonfly paints canvases! 

I guess my own style of painting leans on the surreal and illustrative side. I'm always drawing up lettering and designs for band posters or juxtaposing imagery when I can. This painting is up at a gallery space downtown in the Everett st loftsI painted this particular one several times since someone wanted it and I didn't want to give up the original just yet. It made the cover of the local Portland Mercury one year.  This painting is for sale. Contact for more info.   
This canvas painting is roughly 60 X 60 and sits on a wall in my daughters room. I painted it for her just before she was ready to be born. I feel as she grows she'll have curiosity and questions about it. It will be cool to explain to her the story of the monkeys discovering the apes. I even hid a heart shape in the vines and painted her name in the cloud subtly so she will discover it!
I painted this canvas in about four days taking breaks and such. I did a bunch of back painting then illustrated over it, put in my darks and shadows and highlights later. Some areas I stippled paint on and others i cut long strokes.
I guess its sitting in that sci fi fantasy realm still child like and playful with its intent. I'm going to be painting more of these themes as they work into a story i'm writing.


Animals are probably the best subject for a young mind. When i see most toddler and baby books they all have something to do with learning about animals or safe cuddly little shapes. With this one I had that idea but i also wanted our animal being to be hanging out enjoying the sun on some far out planet. I liked the notion that the animal being isn't paying much attention to you but you are observing it observing its surroundings enjoying the planets warmth. I wanted it to be simple fun and cartoony. The shiny reflections are from a two part epoxy finish. I wanted to give it that extra depth even though I used One Shot, a sign painting enamel that already has a glossy finish. I will be making more of these themes in my spare time too as I love the feel of them. I hope my daughter does too!

If you are interested in what the artful dragonfly/Andrew Rossi can do to enhance your space or commission a painting, please contact at claudeapple@yahoo.com  503 984 3374

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home