Monday, June 25, 2012

MORE VIEWS FROM THE ARTFUL DRAGONFLYS PHONE


The Mash Tun is a local Brewery in the NE Alberta neighborhood. We wanted to get the lettering up before Last Thursday, a neighborhood wide event that attracts hundreds of peeps. The view is from the back side courtyard and can be visibly seen walking down Alberta st. This was a simple design idea. Make it big and readable from the street. The paint i chose for the wall was a nice vintage era barn red. I chose a thicker workable font with the owners help and got started with my pattern. The pergola cuts into the lettering about 2-3ft high looking at the wall from the street so we had to go higher and take down the lights which they did. The result is a nice sign painted onto the wall that can be seen all around.


This was a quick indoor Illustration/Mural piece for a small NE coffee shop called the Blue Lotus Cafe. There are two wall sconces that light up the sides. The wall was prepped and ready to go for me to add my design. I gave it a softer touch with glazes and added thin white highlights on the water and a rough outline to make it more illustrative. The owners were pleased with the results!





Every now and then I post ads and get clients who are needing something done that seems a bit out of the ordinary. I'm always happy to oblige if it sounds interesting. I have to figure out what exactly they want and i go do it. I love that!
This was one of those clients! Hardly any supervision, just a clear idea of following an old panels details. I was excited to help be part of a process to restore an old 1950's Sea Plane!! It was at White Marine inside a floating hangar on the Columbia River. The owner wanted me to paint lettering on his newly fabricated instrument panel! I couldn't screw this up and the scale was so tiny like centimeters. I decided to get decals made and put them on myself! I plotted the whole thing with help from FastSigns in NW Portland. The owner was stoked that I found a sign shop in portland that would handle this unique job. (no other place would do it) Even though I was the middleman I was paid well for my services!


Here is the scale we are talking about. This is the new fab panel. An exacto blade and some patience was what it took like the old days. It was a fun and challenging experience. I wanted to paint a hot WWII vargas girl on the nose or side but it wasn't the look. Oh well...its very art deco looking to me.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home