Monday, May 06, 2013

New Murals and Projects in Asheville NC!

It was early November when we landed in the funky mountain town of Asheville. We had just moved from Portland Oregon where we had too much going on all the time it seemed. The basis for our move was to be a closer distance to our families since our daughter Eva luna was born. My brother is in Mississippi and our parents reside in upper and western Michigan. Its an easier distance for everyone plus Asheville has a little bit of what we liked about the northwest.

It took a while to settle in but I landed a unique project helping out two muralists Ian and Scott with the Asheville Mural project on a mural project in south Asheville not too far away from where we live. The place is a children's play area dream come true called the Mountain Playlodge.
Scott of Renovate with Color snaps a pic

I was enlisted to help these guys out with some woodgraining on the planks of a huge two
level pirate ship that encapsulates the whole room. The level of shadowing and semi realism was right where I like it to be so it was a blast to paint.

We had painted an upper deck with stairs that look
like it goes right through the wall and up to where
the captain stands. It was a lot of foreshadowing and
exact angles with the right lights and darks.





























I later got in contact with the Asheville Lyric Opera to do set painting and design. They needed a prop assistant and a painter for their sets for Tosca so I did that. I would search antique shops for assorted hand and stage props that keep the look and period of the script. I also would get called on to rebuild and restore.I suddenly found myself restoring a few antiques for a local merchant who works with the Opera by donating period furniture to the Dianna Wortham Theater.Village Antiques on Biltmore.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home