Thursday, August 08, 2013

Mural project for home recording studio in Arden

 A local rap artist producer who is starting his own home recording label and studio in Arden NC. contacted me to see what I could do with his boring basement studio space he invested in. He added a soundproofed vocal booth room and a mixing area with acoustic baffles to the plan.
I went with the idea of a jazz era Art Deco era design once again but with a modern gangsta 420 theme that seemed to mix well with his aesthetic. We wanted it to be classy and cool.
I first treated it as a faux finish but added large strokes of glazes over each other in geometric shapes and patterns.
Then I added the Deco looking border design and cut in the shapes of two women. The pot leaf sits right behind them like the sun rise or something like that.

I used a solid pigment burnt umber paint for my cartoonish outlines instead of black. There is no darker color than burnt umber in this design.

I also used the existing creme colors in the walls and added a few light differences.
I taped off a border just above the mural design where a faux marble or stone beam would go above and below. 
 I added a couple of columns to the sides and started to stain the vocal booth door and add my Deco bubble design to the vocal booth area.

I went to town on the girls hair and illustrating them in a simple design oriented way using a few colors and slight shadows etc.


I did the same thing opposing the mural wall with the vocal booth walls. I added a simple circular deco style design all around it to make it stand out and look interesting.

I drop shadowed in the beams and border and some of the girls features and added details here and there to places.

It was a cool project to do my own thinking and come up with a design that pleases the senses and not too completely
outrageous but just enough of my imagination for a classic looking music recording studio.
We also re did his entire garage, leather fauxed and showroom painted the floor as an entertainment room and backline area for his clients.
Tare Out Boy studio in Arden NC. is going to be a cool, funky full production home recording studio ready for business soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home